Friday 29 December 2017

The Greatest Showman (2017)

I can understand why some people wouldn't like The Greatest Showman. It takes extreme liberties with history, its story is oft-told, and the songs throughout it are over-produced and clearly intended to appeal to a generation that cut its teeth on High School Musical.

Personally, I thought it was great.

It shares the same lyricist (although I don't believe the same composer) as LA LA Land, and the publicity for it has been making quite a few references to it. That set me up for potential disappointment - LA LA Land has a great opening number, but nothing else in the film lived up to that potential.

Fortunately, The Greatest Showman doesn't repeat the same mistakes. This is not a film that happens to have a couple of musical sequences in it, but a bona fide musical. It also doesn't make the same mistake off its best material (although The Greatest Show is arguably the best song (but only arguably, unlike LA LA Land where Another Day of Sun is most certainly the best number).

It also manages to populate the film with people with genuine musical talent - Hugh Jackman looks like he would have fit right at home in the classic films of Hollywood's Golden Years.

It's also one of the few films when a total stranger (an older lady (how much older it would be impolite of me to speculate)) turned to me after the end credits had finished rolling (yes, I  remained to hear Rewrite The Stars again) and said how much she enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...