Monday 26 February 2018

The Phantom Thread (2017)

I didn't think I was going to watch The Phantom Thread. I detested the trailer for it - a loathing born from the awful piece of music that accompanied it. I know that trailer music is not the same as the music used in the film, but I expect it to be representative of mood - and the mood this music represented was not one I cared to experience.

However. a few people have mentioned how much they liked the film, so I thought I'd give it a punt.

The opening of the film didn't inspire much hope in me. The characters were cold, the action overly finickity, and lacking engagement.

Then the film introduces Alma (Vicky Krieps) and the whole mood (and my engagement) shifted.

The story lies somewhere between Gothic Romance and fairy tale in the relationship between the characters. Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) remains a difficult character to like throughout, but still manages to elicit enough sympathy that I was rooting for Alma to win him over.

The story also managed to completely wrong-foot me. Its ending was both unexpected and completely in keeping with the previous actions of the characters.

It's not a film that I'm likely to rewatch in the near future, but it is one that's stuck with me since I saw it.

Oh, and I had no problem at all with the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...