Tuesday 8 May 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

Thanks to the magic of cinema, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was filmed in Devon.

I think that sums up my nagging feeling that there was something slightly manufactured about the film. There are a couple of areas where I was let down - Lily James's interactions with Florence Keen (playing Kit) also felt a bit forced.

Other than those minor quibbles, the film is a charming, if slight look at both post-war Britain and the German occupation of the Channel Islands during the war. It doesn't bring any great depth to either, the main thrust of the tale being the relationships that James's character develops with the members of the eponymous society, but it doesn't completely ignore the ugliness of those times.

As a piece of entertainment, with no claims on cinematic greatness, it worked perfectly fine for me. It's only worth avoiding if the sight of any sentimentality whatsoever is enough to send you into spasms of revulsion as it is very much a film about the feels - although sufficiently understated to appeal to a British audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...