Tuesday 27 June 2017

The Graduate (1967)

Until last night, I had never seen The Graduate.

I had previously caught bits and pieces of it - the finale at the church has been shown so many times in isolation that it was hard to escape it, but I had never watched the whole film from start to finish.

Since it is  currently back in cinemas for its fiftieth anniversary, I thought I'd finally get around to correcting that missing piece of my movie education.

The first thing that I always wonder about is whether a film holds up after all those years. What might once have been a classic can with hindsight, turn into an embarrassment of naive craftsmanship and clunky scripting that no one is prepared to call time on. Certainly there should be an understand of the period in which a film was made, but we also have to appreciate that we've moved on from the time when audiences used to flee from the sight of a locomotive being projected on a screen in a circus tent. There are classics and there are historical artifacts - the two are not always found in the same movie.

In the case of The Graduate though, they are. Cinematographically the film holds up well. The pallet is certainly one of the sixties - the use of colour is something that's often lacking from today's films. Desaturated colours have their time and place, but sometimes you want something a bit brighter. The direction of the camera also holds up - with the occasional shot or cut that dates the film poorly - Benjamin's reaction to the naked Mrs Robinson or any of those zoom shots felt more distracting than useful to me.


Music-wise, the Simon and Garfunkle songs are brilliant (although very much of the period) - the lyrics for Mrs Robinson finally coming in as the car emerges from the tunnel was pure cinema - and for some reason I was reminded of the Burt Bacharach music for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (two years after The Graduate, and also featuring Katharine Ross).

The story itself doesn't feel stuck in the sixties. Benjamin's attitudes seem perfectly contemporary, which probably says much about the effect that sixties sexual politics still have today. The treatment of women doesn't seem to have moved on much either.

Hoffman's Benjamin Braddock looked like the part that fifteen years later would have been portrayed by a young Tom Cruise - and frankly I think young Cruise could have pulled it off better. Certainly Hoffman manages the nervous awkwardness well, but he didn't quite convince me enough as the type of young man who would so easily gain the interest of Mrs Robinson and the affections of Elaine Robinson. A bit too much blank-stare acting too for my liking - although it served him well enough in Rain Man.

The portrayal of the female characters in the film is uncomfortable - Bancroft's Mrs Robinson comes across as a sexual predator in early scenes, and then devolves into a scheming psychopath all to ready to cry rape to suit her own purpose, while Ross's Elaine seems to fall for Benjamin's charms a little too easily.

However, switch the genders for Mrs Robinson and Benjamin, and make the accusation of rape a threat of violence, and I probably wouldn't be concerned about the character's portrayal - so perhaps the truth in the situation compensates for my concerns about the prejudicial characterisation. It's something that's unlikely to resolve itself easily for me.

As for Elaine, I think her final expression on the bus redeemed her character. For me, that look of uncertainty justified every other decision her character made in the film.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...