Friday 23 June 2017

The Other Side of Hope (2017)

A Finnish-German co-production, The Other Side of Hope is a 'comedy' about a Syrian refugee and a Finnish restaurateur.

I'm not sure I should put comedy in quotes because it is a funny film - or at least half of it is. For the most part the side of the film that deals with the restaurateur is a deadpan, absurdist comedy. The side dealing with the refugee is less so, at times it going to fairly dark places with the reaction the refugee experiences from the less-enlightened members of Finnish society.

It's a film that treats its subject matter with the respect that it deserves. It's also hugely entertaining when it really kicks into gear - although it does take a while before it raises more than the occasional chuckle.

The area the film lacked most for me though was that I didn't care enough about the characters. The style of  storytelling created a certain amount of emotional distance - in some cases quite appropriately - but it meant that while I could feel a certain amount of injustice on behalf of the refugee character, ultimately the story didn't quite cross the empathy barrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...