Tuesday 4 July 2017

Despicable Me 3 (2017)

I really enjoyed Despicable Me - the original film.

However, I absolutely loved Despicable Me 2, which I put alongside Godfather Part 2, Toy Story 2, and Aliens as sequels that improve upon the first film.

Then there came Minions, which while watchable seemed like a step down from the previous two films. It was enjoyable, but in their own movie, the Minions were a lot less interesting.

For me, Despicable Me 3 falls somewhere between Minions and Despicable Me. The franchise is still far superior to most other non-Disney animations (and it's sequels are far superior to many Disney and Pixar sequels (Cars 2, Monsters' University - yes, I'm talking about you)). It still has it's funny moments (although some of them had been spoiled for me by seeing the trailer too many times), but it felt like a frozen moment in time. Despicable Me 2 worked on so many levels - character, humour, music.

DM3 on the other hand doesn't have much in the way of new character growth - although it has new characters. It has new Pharrell songs, but nothing on a par with Happy - or even Fun, Fun, Fun and Prettiest Girls from the first film. It's funny, but much more sporadically than the first film.

I still enjoyed it. We get some fun set pieces, some reasonably decent Minions slapstick, and it doesn't ruin anything. But it's no Despicable Me 2.

Advertising for Despicable Me 2 at the Vue Westfield Shepherds Bush
Still the best

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...