Monday 10 July 2017

Song to Song (2017)

Snore to Snore is perhaps more appropriate in my case as I was struggling to stay conscious throughout this.

Beautifully shot, its script and editing are a stream-of-consciousness approach that relies on the viewer to piece together what's happening rather than providing a straightforward narrative. The editing approach is along the same lines of The Limey, although rather than the non-linear approach, this one appears to be linear (at least as far as I could make out), but fragmentary so that it will randomly jump forward in time. Dialogue is sparse, the narrative heavy lifting is provided by alternating narration from the main cast members - although it's a narration that remains elusive - a vague recollection of past events constructed like a bad attempt at poetry.

I suppose there might have been something interesting about the director's intent - but to me this comes across as a piece of self-indulgent 'Art'. It certainly wasn't enough to sustain its 2 hours running time - if you're going to be that experimental, please, please make something much, much shorter.

The Limey did it better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...