Thursday 26 October 2017

Happy Death Day (2017)

Something strange happened while I was watching this film.

Happy Death Day has been described as Groundhog Day meets Scream. It's the story of a college student who keeps relieving the day that she is murdered with the reset occurring at the point of death.

As the film was most of the way through the second iteration of the day, the picture cut out for a few seconds. When it cam back again, we were watching the moments leading up to the main character's death again. Only she had gone out of her way to avoid the events of that particular death, so how did we get back here in those few missing seconds?

The scene continues to play out exactly as it has before: she died, woke up, and then ran through the events of the previous day, being the only person who knew that the day was repeating. Except she only had the memory of the first day, not the second. This wasn't a continuation of the film - it was the film ten minutes ago.

Was I experiencing my own death-induced timeloop? If so, I only had ten minutes to solve my own murder.

Or I could wait and hope that the film didn't repeat again.

Fortunately, it appears that it was only a temporary technical malfunction, and aside from having to watch ten minutes of the film twice over, I haven't experienced any further repeating time.

Anyway, the film was good fun. It won't necessarily appeal to the hardcore horror fans - it's more comedy-thriller than slasher movie - but for anyone who isn't tired of films about time loops with a bit of stalkery murder thrown in for good measure, it's a decent watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...