Thursday 26 October 2017

The Death of Stalin (2017)

I studied Russian 20th century history for 'O' Level (taken in one year, allowing me to study archaeology for the remaining year). Most of the course was concerned with the Russian Revolution, but we did continue into the days of Stalin. The primary take-away from that was that he was not a very nice man.

The Death of Stalin is a comedy. A comedy that revolves around a man responsible for the death of millions. The film does not in any way gloss over this fact. Nor does it avoid the fact that its subjects are engaged in very unpleasant activities. Murder is second-nature to them; there are references to torture; allusions to rape and child abuse.

None of these subjects are treated as jokes. The filmmakers appear to have erected a Chinese Wall between the horror and the humour. What could easily have been distasteful is perfectly handled.

As for the rest: the performances are brilliant (Jason Isaacs' role as a Yorkshire-accented general was genius), the film is very funny, and the depiction of the events fascinating enough to make me want to reach for the history books again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hong Kong Railway Museum

For a little bit of context, I've been fascinated by trains for most of my life. I can't make any claim to being a true fanatic - my...